Buckingham Group Contracting Ltd has been appointed by Worcestershire County Council to deliver the £22million Worcestershire Parkway Regional Interchange Station scheme.
Buckingham Group has been awarded the design and build contract with site preparation and final design work planned for this winter. We will be working alongside SLC Rail, who are project managing the scheme on behalf of the Council.
Worcestershire Parkway forms part of Worcestershire County Council's Local Transport Plan and Worcester Transport Strategy and is pivotal to the Council's ambitious growth plans to boost the County's economic value to £2.9bn, creating 25,000 new jobs by 2025.
The scheme was given the stamp of approval by the Department for Transport at the end of January 2017. Once open, Worcestershire Parkway will make it easier for many more passengers to use the County’s vital 'North Cotswold' rail link from Worcester to Oxford and London Paddington. Worcestershire residents will also be able to catch regular long-distance cross country services which currently pass through the County on the Gloucester to Birmingham route without stopping.
Located at Norton, just east of M5 Junction 7, the new station will build on the Government's investment in the brand new 'Intercity Express Train' which Great Western Railway will introduce on the North Cotswold Line by 2018.
Buckingham Group has a strong track-record for delivering complex rail projects, such as the re-development of Northampton Station, Wakefield Westgate Station, Salford Crescent Station and the recently opened Bicester to Oxford Rail Link including three new stations with associated infrastructure.
Councillor Ken Pollock, Worcestershire County Council's Cabinet Member for Economy, Skills and Infrastructure, said: "Worcestershire Parkway is a major player in the county's future economic prosperity, which is why we need a specialist contractor we can trust to deliver the scheme to time and budget. Buckingham Group’s reputation and experience in the rail sector is evident and we are delighted to have them on board."
Marc Riley, Framework Director for Rail at Buckingham Group, said: "Buckingham Group has been delivering rail projects for over 20 years. Our experience includes a wide range of station redevelopments plus the delivery of high-profile, high-quality, "Gateway" Stations. The design and build contract for Worcestershire Parkway is an exciting project for the region and we are thrilled to have been appointed to deliver a scheme which will play such an integral part in Worcestershire's future."
Ian Walters, Managing Director at SLC Rail, commented: "The appointment of Buckingham Group sends a clear message that Worcestershire's long held vision of a new station will soon become reality."
The majority of the budget for the scheme will be self-funded through station car park fees and access charges levied on the Train Operating Companies, along with £8.3m from the Worcestershire Local Enterprise Partnership through the Government's Growth Deal.
Gary Woodman, Chief Executive of Worcestershire Local Enterprise Partnership, said: "We welcome the appointment of Buckingham Group as contactor for Worcestershire Parkway Station and we are confident that they will be able to deliver the project smoothly for its opening in 2018."
NOTES FOR EDITORS
Worcestershire Parkway will be built on a 14-acre site just off Junction 7 of the M5 at the intersection of the Worcester - London Paddington 'North Cotswold' and Birmingham to Bristol railway lines. The station will be operated by the Great Western Railway (GWR), with train services provided by both GWR and CrossCountry. For more information, go to www.worcestershire.gov.uk
About the Worcestershire Growth Deal:
- Worcestershire has a 10year Strategic Economic Plan (SEP) which has been formed by working with all partners including local businesses, councils, trade bodies and the voluntary sector
- Worcestershire has been allocated £47m in the first round of the Growth Deal during 2014 and £7.2m in the second round in January 2015. The programmes which are funded by the Growth Deal are vital to delivering Worcestershire’s SEP
- The SEP and the programmes funded by the Growth Deal enable a number of key improvements to be made across the County that will help Worcestershire to continue to be a world class place for business
- Projects through the Growth Deal will create jobs, leverage private and public sector funding, improve road and rail networks and Worcestershire's flooding resilience. The funding will also further develop skills and ensure even greater rollout of Superfast Broadband
For more information, go to www.wlep.co.uk
About Buckingham Group
With a company history spanning over 60 years, Buckingham Group Contracting Ltd is a major multi-disciplinary contractor with a turnover approaching £400million. We are an established Principal Contractor providing a range of fully integrated, versatile and flexible services to Public and Private sector Clients across most of England and Wales. Operating from our Head Office, near Silverstone, and regional office in Warrington our services include:
- Railways and rail engineering
- Rail Stations including new build and refurbishment
- Highways, bridges and structures
- Major Infrastructure works for development sites
- Sports stadia and leisure facilities
- High quality Building projects to BREEAM Excellent
- High quality Offices, distribution warehousing and manufacturing facilities to BREEAM Excellent Major highways and structures
- The delivery of complex site remediation projects
- Demolition and deconstruction projects
For further information please contact:
Buckingham Group Contracting
Silverstone Road, Stowe
Buckingham, MK18 5LJ
Tel: 01280 823355